Prayerfully Support The Mission

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Fasting - About Food?


Don’t Think “Food”, Think “Discipline”

There’s more to fasting than just abstaining from food. It is so easy to associate this spiritual discipline to the obvious. But I want to encourage you to think bigger – Fasting is more than just giving up a breakfast, a lunch or dinner; it is an opportunity to train oneself to become more like Christ. Last night, I told my sister I’d join her in a period of fasting today. It’s 6:30 am and already, my brain is thinking “Do you really want to do this?”  Why am I thinking about all the things I can eat today? Why am I thinking about the goodies I am missing if I skip breakfast, not to mention lunch? I have some finger licking KFC in the fridge...will it spoil if I don't eat it today? What if a co-worker offers me something to eat today?  I have a long day today...must start the day right (with food)!

Coupled with praying and study of the scriptures, fasting is an opportunity for spiritual transformation. The question is “Do I want to achieve real spiritual transformation?” Every time I fast, it is one more training moment that propels me closer to the goal of transformation/spiritual maturity.

John Ortberg wrote an unforgettable book on the subject of spiritual disciplines called “The Life You’ve Always Wanted” (2002). He mentions the encouragement of the Apostle Paul to Timothy (his son in the gospel) to “Train yourself in godliness” (1 Timothy 4:8). Training is work. Training involves self-discipline. Training is what I am doing when I tell myself “Yes, you WILL follow through with the fasting moment”. After some tough talk to myself, I am on my way. Ortberg states that following Jesus “simply means learning from Him how to arrange my life around activities that enable me to live in the fruit of the Spirit” (44). Learning, from countless training moments (like fasting).

“Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it (train) to get a crown that will last forever” (1 Corinthians 9:25). I need to remember this as I fast – “I am developing my spiritual muscle with every fasting moment”. This will benefit me, and those around me – Learned obedience to Christ is what I will gain! Do I wish to be more patient, more forgiving, more courageous, more faithful… each moment I determine to “train” gets me closer to the goal. Look at it this way – “If my problem is that I am doing something I ought not do, I need to practice a discipline that strengthens my “not-doing muscles” (Ortberg, 58). Not to be legalistic, but I wish to develop some “not - doing muscles… This moment of self denial, this giving up to gain through fasting, prayer, and time in the Word will benefit me. On a practical level, each time I "say no"(fasting moment), prepares me for those life moments when I really need to "say no". Let’s be encouraged today as we fast; take it from a man who knew a thing or two about discipline: “Habitually practice these duties, and be absorbed in them; so that your growing proficiency in them may be evident to all” (1 Timothy 4:15).

Reference:
Ortberg, J. “The Life You’ve Always Wanted”. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan (2002)
GoogleImage
Written by Pastor Kevin A. Hall  (04.05.18)


1 comment:

  1. A refreshing perspective. It sure kept mw focused during thw fasting.

    ReplyDelete