Prayerfully Support The Mission

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Christian Ethics in the Workplace - Do I live two lives?

Ethics in the Workplace
Written By Kevin Hall (10.16.2016)




How is a Christian to conduct themselves in the marketplace? What’s our approach to ethical challenges?
This issue is very important as it speaks to colliding worldviews that influence how we live out our day to day lives. Ethics in the workplace is of particular interest to me as I have struggled with this issue for years. I was a supervisor in different capacities over the past 15 years and in every role to which I was assigned, my Christian worldview dictated my actions. It influenced how aggressive I was in conducting business, the criteria for becoming a part of my team, employee/employer relationships, customer/business relationships, the efficiency of the operations, rewards and motivations, accountability and performance reviews, diversity in the workplace, music in the workplace, religion on the workplace and the list goes on.

One thing that was obvious was that I operated on a different level than my peers. In fact, at one point my boss alluded that my “Christian religion” is what was preventing me from being as demanding as I should be on my employees. He wondered then if I could “play the game”. It was obvious that I was not fighting as the others were (unfairly) doing. Rae (342) mentions that one of the ways this is achieved by many professionals is to employ the strategy of “Dual Morality” – dealing with the ethical challenges in the workplace by creating two separate worlds to operate in. This is a strategy where each sphere has its own set of rules and guidelines to follow. One set of moral rules for the workplace and another set in private life.


 This was challenging for me personally especially since “the workplace is a very competitive place that requires me to set aside some of my Christian virtues such as love, compassion and even fairness” (Rae, 342). Many times employees genuinely have some serious issues. These issues affect performance whether its tardiness, drive, productivity, appearance, attendance, reliability, integrity concerns, sexual harassment and many times the discussion to correct these deficiencies for me were done in light of “ministry to help the root cause”. Many of my colleagues would terminate in an instant for the same offence that I would give a consideration to. These “considerations of mine” could be viewed as being too soft, showing favoritism, too long-suffering. Some of these considerations caused me grief. Some have led to character assassinations. Some have been the best decisions I made.  I viewed my job as God’s property and provision and therefore it was essential that I “shepherd” the flock of that business. This view that it all belonged to God extended from the parking lot to the garbage dumpster. It covered company property, employee relations, customer service, to performance management and improvement. It was also the reason why I operated at the top of my game – I conducted work “as unto God” as my Christian ethic called for.

Compartmentalizing my life was something I was not willing to do. Even if it meant sacrificing the top spot. I can tell you that maintaining my Christian worldview in the workplace did not come without a fight. There was no dual morality being practiced. I was the same at home, in ministry and at work. The struggle was competing with my peers to get to the top. They practiced unfairly. I could not play that game and so it felt like I was limited. My only confidence was in the fact that God was the one in control regardless of outcomes (good and bad). When I finally made it into a top spot I realized that it was empty up there. This was a place whose foundation was built upon lies and secrecy and yes, ethical compromises. The folks I idolized were practicing dual morality. It was then that I realized that the sacrifices I made for the company was not worth it if it meant the only way to stay here was to live unethically. To be fair, at the top I met and was inspired by some great leaders and co-workers - people who cared for and made tremendous contributions to a successful company.
I lived my life under the Lordship of Christ, understanding that He is the boss of me. It was important that I operated under the same set of rules regardless of the company or place I was. It is important that the right thing is practiced for all involved in the workplace. Ethics is always good business (Rae, 344).

For some, the aim is success at any cost. For me, success was not necessarily defined by dollars (although I’ll take as much as I can get). Success could come in the form of good working relationships, very high workplace morale, an atmosphere of trust and respect, achieving company goals, securing recognition for achieving the top spots, steady as she goes when goals are not achieved, no compromises, customer loyalty, low turnover and work – life balance because of the practice of Christian ethics. Rae (345) stated that integrity in the workplace builds trust and trustworthiness and is a critical component in building a successful business -over time”. I believe that part is crucial – over time. The practice of Christian ethics takes time because it requires consideration of the person. Because we are created in the image of God, each person, each employee has value and should be treated 'personally' rather than seen as a piece of property that can be discarded at will. Companies that act ethically usually stay in business for a lone time, practicing the virtues of hard work, diligence, thrift, initiative, creativity, promise keeping and truthfulness (Rae, 346). The practice of such ethic will bring pay off, but the rewards may not be noticed immediately.
For those who practice dual morality, one may see compromises in other areas of their lives. I believe that since God is the ultimate owner of all the world’s productive resources, then in fulfilling my calling to work and have dominion over these resources, I must be a good steward.  This requires the understanding and practice of the Christian worldview where Christian ethics is consistently practiced for the benefit of all. Ethical behavior in the workplace and successful business is possible. All it takes is the Christian living like he or she believes that God really is Prime Reality.

Reference:
Rae, S. Moral Choices -  An Introduction to Ethics. Zondervan (2009)

Art retrieved from Google Search – bhgrealestaeblog.com; bangsa.firos.info

No comments:

Post a Comment