Prayerfully Support The Mission

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The Sin Struggle

A Daily Walk:    To Sin Or Not To Sin

What happens to the individual who becomes a Christian? Is there an instant cessation of sinning? Is there mastery of addictions? What of the effects of sin – are they erased? John Frame in his excellent presentation on Presuppositional Apologetics (213) provides us with an excellent insight on the issue at hand. He says “No. Becoming a Christian does not immediately erase all sin and its effects”. You see, God forgives our sins, but we will not be perfect till we get to heaven. Christians will sin. But we can choose not to:
8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.  (1 John 1:8-9)

The journey is a lifetime of pursuing Christ and His righteousness. We still struggle to overcome temptations and we still commit sin, both with the mind and the body. It is God who deals with all sin as He “forgives our noetic sins in Christ” (the nature of unbelief that affects our reasoning and knowledge, disobedience to God’s words). Frame describes the Christian as “regenerate, born again and a new creation: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come” (2 Corinthians 5:17). So how is the believer different from the unbeliever? 

Well, the believer is made new in Christ, sanctified with a hope for ultimate perfection. The unbeliever does not have this benefit. The believer is united to Christ, becoming a heir to all that is Christ’s and has made a turn around through confession, repentance and baptism in Christ. The believer is the beneficiary of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. The believer now has what I’ll call Liberation power – having been buried with Christ through baptism into death and raised with Christ from the dead, he or she now walks in newness of life (Romans 6:4). Now the believer’s life does not have to be characterized by sinfulness, instead he or she can be righteous through the same power of the Holy Ghost that raised up Christ from the dead. Same sinful body, but now freed from the power of sin! John MacArthur refers to this as “Dead to sin, Alive to God” (1702). MacArthur rightfully says “Although the old self is dead, sin retains a foothold in our temporal flesh with its corrupt desires” (1702), but thanks be to God, the believer is no longer a slave to sin. The one who accepts Christ as Lord and Savior has been freed from sin, is called to live for God, should consider him/herself dead to sin and look forward to the day when perfection/sinlessness is gained because he or she will live with God (Romans 6:7-9). Until that great day, we will all have to deal with this sinful body, believer and unbelievers alike.

The Struggle For All Of Us:
I call it the struggle. We overcome by the renewing of our mind with the truth of Christ. The Apostle Paul best describes the tug-o-war:
15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.
21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin (Romans 7:15-25).

So the new life of the believer is a turning away from sin and evil (a turn to Christ), but for now is not a change from sin to sinlessness, rather a change in direction. Let me use Frame’s words here: “Before conversion, we love to sin and want to indulge in it more and more. After conversion we hate sin, and our deepest desire is to be rid of it. Another way to put it is that before conversion sin is our master; after conversion, our master is Christ” (214). What an excellent description of the benefits of becoming a believer of Christ Jesus!

In Jesus’ words: 31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, ‘You will become free’?” 34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin. 35 The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed”.
I thank God everyday for the truth of the Gospel of Christ. Jesus came on a rescue mission for all mankind, but the choice is to each man, woman, boy or girl to accept His message or to reject it.

References:
The Macarthur Study Bible. NKJV. USA: Thomas Nelson: 1997
Gundry, S. Cowan, S. Five Views On Apologetics. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan (2000).
Written by Kevin A. Hall

Google Image

No comments:

Post a Comment